|June 8, 2012||Filled under Headlines|
by Margo Callaghan
Kinney Drugs, an employee-owned company that began in Gouverneur, N.Y. in 1903, has been serving the small towns and cities across Vermont for three decades. Its newest store officially opened on Saturday, June 2 with a formal ribbon cutting ceremony. The new store, located on Route 7 at 47 Executive Drive, marks Kinney Drugs’ 20th retail location in Vermont.
Guest speakers at the grand opening included Representative Joan Lenes, and Shelburne Selectboard Chair Bill Smith, who welcomed the business to Shelburne, stating the Town appreciates the employment opportunities and convenience factor the new store brings to Shelburne.
Mark Brackett, President of the Kinney Drugs Foundation, presented donation checks to Val Martel and Cathy Townsend of the Shelburne Food Shelf (see page 22) and to Sage Tucker-Ketcham, Executive Director of the Shelburne Craft School.
Following the ceremonies, Selectboard member Gary von Stange offered his comments regarding the addition of Kinney Drugs to Shelburne’s business mix. “Shelburne is open for business. Kinney’s grand opening today, following Tractor Supply’s and the meat packing business recent openings, demonstrates the Town’s commitment to fostering strong business opportunities in Shelburne.” von Stange continued, “A few years back the Town altered its restrictive zoning bylaws to provide more opportunities for businesses to invest and be successful in our community. We’re seeing that now. And we’re not done. The Town now is exploring form-based zoning, which if properly enacted and administered, could further foster business growth while protecting or even enhancing our Town’s beauty.”